13 Stars Who Inspired Your Streaky Highlights Phase
Anyone who’s ever lightened their hair knows the magic (and horrors) of bleach. Things can go one of two ways: Bleach can give your tresses that effortless, sun-kissed glow, or it’ll fry blonde stripes into your roots. If you recall, in the early 2000s, such nightmarish stripes were the trend. Many of your favorite celebs sported chunky high or lowlights that contrasted with their natural hair color.
Of course you wanted to try it yourself. So you bought a box of bleach or dye, said a quick prayer in front of your bathroom mirror, and got to work. If it ended up looking horrific (probably likely), blame these celebs for giving you unrealistic hair expectations.
- Mary-Kate Olsen Gregg DeGuire/WireImage
Mary-Kate went red, while Ashley stuck to blonde. I’d say this would help you tell them apart, but let’s be real — true fans know who’s who even when they’re wearing matching outfits.
- Lindsay Lohan Disney
LiLo ’s Freaky Friday style was the Ultimate.
- Christina Aguilera Theo Wargo/WireImage
Your mom probably called this look skunk hair. Sigh.
- Shakira Kevin Mazur/WireImage
She’s basically Christina Aguilera ’s long-lost sister in this pic.
- Jessica Simpson Tim Roney/Getty
Everything about this screams The Year 2000.
- Gwen Stefani SGranitz/WireImage
Pink hair, don’t care.
- Kelly Rowland Jim Spellman/WireImage
A moment of silence for everyone with black hair who tried to emulate this do and ended up with bright orange streaks instead.
- Beyoncé Evan Agostini / ImageDirect
Not even Bey could resist this fad.
- Paris Hilton Jeff Vespa/WireImage
- Nicole Richie Doug Benc/Getty
The unofficial 2003 rulebook explicitly states that where there’s Paris , there’s Nicole .
- Geri Halliwell a.k.a. Ginger Spice Tim Roney/Getty
Spice up your life (and hair).
- Fergie Mychal Watts/WireImage
Do you think she’s wearing a bumpit, Y/N?
- Kelly Clarkson RCA
Can’t decide between blonde or red highlights? Why not both?! BOOM.