13 Times Ellie Goulding Was Cover Song Virtuoso
Ellie Goulding ’s still riding high from the release of her latest album, Delirium , but on Tuesday (Jan. 5), she decided to release an unexpected Soundcloud treat: a new cover song to repeat the sh-t out of, as all Ellie covers must be.
The On My Mind singer is about as close to a Cover Song Queen as they come, mostly because she’s not afraid to tackle obscure discographies or far-ranging genres. Take, for instance, the reworking she released today: Just In Case , a 2001 Grammy-nominated slow jam from New Jersey R&B crooner Jaheim. A random choice? Yep. An awesome one? Also a hard yes. Take a listen:
The key to any quality cover song is basically the same as the key to life: don’t be boring. And Ellie always manages to craft her versions of other artists’ songs into enthralling must-hears. It’s especially exciting, though, when she takes on a male artist or band’s song — proving anything guys can do, girls can do better. ?
- Mirrors - Justin Timberlake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uEbVeqAftM
A trio of backup singers makes JT’s hit more soulful, giving us a cover that kinda makes you want to dance and cry at the same time.
- How Long Will I Love You - The Waterboys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an4ySOlsUMY
Ellie slows down the original jangly tune and gives it a more romantic vibe that’s worthy of a bride and groom’s first wedding dance.
- Sweet Disposition - Temper Trap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6ZHM_je1E
Try to sing this song out loud right now, I dare you. Chances are, you sound like a dying seal (don’t worry, I did too). That’s because this is one f—king tough song to sing, but Ellie gives those stretched-out high notes her all. Even when her voice does strain a bit, it still sounds beautifully raw.
- Take Me To Church - Hozier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtR8sn4z-A
This one’s a haunting, moody ride through a synth-y, electronic soundscape. Chills for days!
- Heartbeats - The Knife https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8zGOTwnBNU
This lush acoustic cover is actually more in the vein of Jose Gonzalez’s soft version — and it’s every bit as beautiful.
- The Cave - Mumford and Sons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8UDhYWXBIY
No banjos, no problem.
- Black & Gold - Sam Sparro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJ2CC4B_NI
Ellie recorded this track way back in 2009, before she was the megastar she is today. But this cover still stands out because of the way she speeds up Sparro’s slicked-out version and lets her quivering vocals do all the work.
- Your Song - Elton John https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9AFMVMl9qE
This tender and vulnerable rendition isn’t a by-the-book cover — Ellie switches up the order of the lyrics to make it her own.
- Some Nights - fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bTZvhrcK8I
A cappella voices kick off this rendition before a full band jumps in, making it super lively but not as bombast as the original. That’s OK — it’s still a jam.
- All I Want - Kodaline https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQv5ihwBZds
Ugh. Kodaline’s original version is already like a sledgehammer to the heart, and Ellie’s take on it is enough to make you die a little bit inside. In particular, the way she says you took my soul and wiped it clean in the second verse will wreck you, as will the point three and a half minutes in, when she unleashes a chorus of ghostly oohing that’s straight outta heaven.
- Roscoe - Midlake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHFiyql5HPA
This one’s a little more country than what we’re used to hearing from Ellie, but she pulls it off, proving herself a true musical chameleon.
- High For This - The Weeknd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id7e-9WaxMc
The finger snaps give this cover a downtempo feel, and the way Ellie’s pretty voice sings the seedy lyrics make it all the more enticing.
- The Wolves - Bon Iver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soaixQGGg-U
Ellie’s hits all the highs and lows beautifully with her warm, layered vocals. The repeated someday my pain outro is especially affecting.