16 Questions I Had After Rewatching Disney Channel Original Movie Genius
One of the earliest Disney Channel Original Movies starred the bully from The Sixth Sense (Trevor Morgan) and a pre- Shameless Emmy Rossum . Genius turns 17 this year, and it's safe to say I watched it over and over again when I was growing up.
But this movie, which follows nerdy boy genius Charlie and the cool alter ego he creates to impress a girl, was until recently one I hadn't seen in the last 10 years. After a quick re-watch, though, I'm pleased to say it still holds up -- even if heathens voted it the 11th worst DCOM on our ranker). However, I have a lot of questions Disney still needs to answer.
- Why didn't Charlie patent this and make a fortune? Disney
In Genius 's opening scene, Charlie makes a device that smooths the ice in a hockey rink better (and faster) than a Zamboni can with just the touch of a button. Forget the Pet Rock -- this is a million-dollar idea.
- In what universe would parents be that chill about their child turning down Harvard? Disney
'If you're sure about this, son, I'm sure, too,' Charlie's dad said. Nope. Not a chance. Plus, Charlie's mom didn't even get a say.
- And then did his parents really just send their 13-year-old off to college alone? Disney
They didn't help him settle in or anything.
- Also, he only has one bag for college? Disney
- Is this guy still hot? Disney
As it turns out, yep. Yannick Bisson, who plays bully-turned-friend Mike MacGregor, looks the exact same (and thus, still hot).
- Why does Dr. Krickstein seem so familiar? Disney
( Searches on IMDb ) Oh! The actor, Charles Fleischer, was the voice of Roger Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit .
- Why is Charlie so pouty about having the whole dorm room to himself? Disney
Sure, Mike was a douche and didn't want to room with him, and that's definitely rude, but come on! Having an entire dorm room to yourself your freshman year of college is a huge steal.
- How was Charlie able to enroll in junior high without having his parents come in to sign some forms and whatnot? Disney
- Is Charlie's junior high next door to the college or something? Disney
I mean, how else could he get from one to the other in no time at all?
- How did Charlie manage to get all those detention slips without the principal wanting to meet with his parents? Disney
- Is this dude Mike's twin or something? Disney
He was Hugo Peplo (Chuck Campbell), the hockey equipment manager who tricked the opposing team by masquerading as Mike. I had to do a double take because he and Mike shared a lot of similar facial features.
- What was even in this purple gunk concoction? Disney
And why was it so easy to wash off, using only soap and water? 'Science,' I guess?
- Was choosing the Northern Lights for the college team's mascot an homage to the very first DCOM (even if Disney doesn't see it that way) , Northern Lights ? Disney
Don't lie to me, Disney.
- Did these electromagnetic balls that mirrored each other inspire the futuristic game Laser Squash on Phil of the Future ? Disney
- Why wasn't anyone at the hockey game concerned when players started randomly levitating? Disney
- Finally, did Charlie and Dr. Krickstein become rich and famous for defying gravity? Disney