16 Songs You Definitely Had Your Heartbreak Playlist 2006
By Natalie Cioffari
Ah, 2006 -- the preteen years! One of the best parts of growing up and dealing with love and heartbreak for the first time is making memories with the songs that come with it all. Here are some of the throwback songs that got you through those times, all the way back 10 years ago.
- Rihanna : Unfaithful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp4UwPZfRis
You didn’t even need to be in a relationship to feel for this song and its powerful, heart-wrenching lyrics.
- Carrie Underwood : Before He Cheats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaSy8yy-mr8
Let’s face it, ladies -- we all wanted to go and destroy our man’s car. I mean, if Carrie Underwood could do when she got her heart broken, why couldn’t we? Moral of the story: Underwood set the record straight.
- Kelly Clarkson : Walk Away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCuyLwhUzM
Clarkson was definitely one of the influential fierce females of the early 2000s (and we can argue that she still is today). And we can easily guess that almost all of us jammed out like everyone in this video, released as a single in '06.
- Ne-Yo : So Sick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxszlJppRQI
The classic breakup song; you can’t change your way of life because you still miss that person. This is probably the reason it stayed No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks.
- Avril Lavigne : Keep Holding On https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzBOH24oZA
A sweet and elevating song by Avril, this one made you grab your crush’s hand (or friend’s) and say, We got this. Love will get us there! Unless you did not have anyone. Then this song probably made you cry.
- Chris Brown : Say Goodbye https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ26gAc7BtU
There really is never the right time to say goodbye... to this song. It’s still an applicable breakup song, and I mean, Chris’s voice is so young and cute, how could you just not listen to it?
- Akon : Lonely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EEW-9NDM5k
Remember this one? The sad one that sounded like chipmunks sang the opening?
- Nick Lachey : What’s Left of Me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=899a8WlVpNk
We thank whoever broke Lachey’s heart (*cough* Jessica Simpson *cough*) for one great breakup song. It’s filled with descriptive and strong lyrics and a slow tempo -- and the video even features future wife Vanessa Minnillo Lachey.
- JoJo : Too Little Too Late https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEgk2qM7kxU
Ladies unite! Who else listened to this song on repeat when their man screwed up? Don’t deny it. You belted it out around your room and sang it to the picture of your (ex-)boyfriend.
- Mary J. Blige : Be Without You https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XNaPX6MKlU
When you first read the title of this song, did you start singing, I wanna be with you, gotta be with you, need to be with you?
- Fort Minor : Where’d You Go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zZE0SrkyNE
This song has an iconic opening that can be recognized from almost anyone that hears the tune.
- Daniel Powter : Bad Day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH476CxJxfg
Once the piano starts, you grab your ice cream, and the tears start rolling. Let’s face it: Every time you had a bad day, this would be your go-to sad song.
- Bowling For Soup : Almost https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbOr0ylYZk
While this hit almost didn’t make the cut, we can’t help but jam out to the heartbreak. BFS nails the stereotypical high school feels and also shows us that at least being close to your crush is better than nothing.
- Hinder : Lips of an Angel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSfTyrvJlg
How we all wished that each of our exes would call us on in the middle of the night and confess their love to us (or, maybe not). Regardless, this song stayed at or near the top of the Billboard charts back in 2006. It’s sweet, sexy, and heartbreaking all at the same time.
- Mariah Carey : We Belong Together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0habxsuXW4g
How could we possibly forget Mariah? The vocals and lyrics hit home to anyone going through a shitty breakup and a time of heartbreak.
- Beyoncé : Irreplaceable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwViQxSJJQ
We saved the best for last. Point your fingers to the left, to the left (we know you did it), flip your hair, and tell your man he is absolutely replaceable. Thank you, Bey.