21 Most Ridiculously Jaw Dropping Cosplays Ever
Attending nerd conventions can be really disorienting sometimes, in no small part because of just how many amazing and hilariously creative costumes you'll see (and accidentally bump into, if they're bulky enough!) literally everywhere you look. Seriously, the things that cosplayers are able to do with fabric, paint, modeling plastic, and lots of human ingenuity are simply astounding -- heck, sometimes they look even better than the official outfits we see on TV and in the movies!
While cosplay isn't a new pasttime -- it's been around since the very first science fiction convention in the late 1930s -- today's amateur costume designers have REALLY kicked things up a notch. In no particular order, here are some of the best, funniest, most elaborate, most AWESOME cosplays we've ever seen -- and rest assured, we'll see plenty more at San Diego Comic-Con this year!
- Deadmau5 Spider-Men Heather Paul on Flickr
Featuring Peter Parker And Mau5 Morales. Get it? Jooookes.
- Krang imgur
This guy really outdid himself in recreating the iconic monster from 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.' For serious.
- Admiral Ackbar https://twitter.com/donttrythis/status/358017261912616960
Adam Savage of 'Mythbusters' fame has done some truly outrageous cosplays over the years, but nothing was as incredible as his prosthetic-heavy Admiral Ackbar from 'Return of The Jedi.' You can find out how he created the costume here on his 'Tested' web series .
- Mohawk Storm Jamais Vu
Marika of Kicka Custom Designs and Suicide Girls model Kurosune (Jacqueline-Elizabeth Cottrell) came together to deliver us the most amazing Punk '80s Storm to ever exist.
- Boba Fett Samurai Leonard Lee for MTV Geek
'Star Wars' is basically a send up of Kurosawa films anyway, so this cosplayer just took it an extra step further.
- GLaDOS Enayla Cosplay/Darkrain Multimedia
Most cosplayers who attempt to portray the snarky evil robot from the Portal games do so by creating a humanoid persona for her. Not Enayla of Enayla Cosplay -- she literally hung upside down in a harness for hours while attending PAX Prime to recreate GLaDOS properly. That's commitment.
- Sailor Bacon MonsieurX on imgur
- The Shiva Sisters Melting Mirror
I can't decide whether I'm more impressed by the costumes of these amazing 'Final Fantasy XIII' cosplayers ( Melting Mirror and Kudrel ), or their ability to stand upright with those giant headpieces. Seriously, how do you not tip over like a giant?
- The Sanderson Sisters https://twitter.com/JonsCrazyTweets/statuses/492153986795855872
HELLO I CANNOT DEAL WITH THIS PERFECTLY EXECUTED 'HOCUS POCUS' COSPLAY RIGHT NOW.
- The Joker (Plus Harley Quinn) Harley's Joker
Anthony Misiano IS the Joker. He just is. End of story.
- To-Scale Rocket Raccoon https://instagram.com/p/q4xAArxl6R/?modal=true
All the kids in this adorable series of cosplay interviews are precious, but li'l Rocket here really takes the cake. (And bonus props to Kendra Pettis as Gwendoline from 'Saga.')
- Sexy Chewbacca L. on Flickr
It was only a matter of time, really.
- Stargate Nyima-chan on Deviantart
I don't know how you even come up with the idea of cosplaying as a literal wormhole in space and time, but WOW this cosplayer did it. Mad props.
- The Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofmivN0fNN0
I just... I have no words.
- Hiccup And A Nader Dragon Loren Javier on Flickr
That's not fair, this guy CLEARLY owns a real live dragon that he trained (just like in the movie!) and brought to SDCC.
- M.O.D.O.K. (and A.I.M. helpers) https://twitter.com/scifielements/status/614819476752756736
Seriously, are you kidding me with this, people? It looks like you LITERALLY created a Mechanical Organism Designed Only For Killing ( from the old 'Captain America' comics , for those of us who aren't giant dorks). HOW. I must know your secrets.
- Bumblebee the Transformer Extreme Costumes
There is a person in this costume. The guy who made it is named Thomas DePetrillo, and he is clearly a 'Transformers' wizard .
- Running of the Hoods https://twitter.com/bcbishop/status/589205874570240000
As we reported on after Star Wars Celebration this year, it's become popular for fans to dress up together as Wilrood Hood, a super-minor character in the background of a scene in 'Empire Strikes Back.' That's commitment, folks.
- Galactus Hayley Sargent on Flickr
Look, Marvel's Destoyer of Worlds even has a mini Silver Surfer on his shoulder!
- The TARDIS Console Scott Pham on Flickr
Everybody has a costume of the Doctor or of the TARDIS exterior, but who ever does the INTERIOR? This cosplayer, that's who. Respect.
- Tom Hiddleston's Loki Getty Images
Does it count as cosplay when the actor who actually PLAYS the character in the movies dresses up as that character during a convention? We say yes -- if only because of how nonsense it was when Tom Hiddleston did it himself at SDCC one year for Marvel's Hall H panel. Well done, Hiddles.