27 Questions I Have
In The Fate of the Furious , Dominic Toretto ( Vin Diesel ) has seemingly gone rogue for reasons unknown. With Dom now working for enemy Cipher (Charlize Theron), it's up to his old crew, and DSS agent Luke Hobbs ( Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson ), to bring him down, with some unlikely help from one of their old foes.
Unfortunately for them, Dom has a submarine on his side. SUCK IT, FAM.
With so much going on — submarines and tanks and wrecking balls, oh my! — there's a lot to unpack here. Why is Dom betraying his family? Why is The Rock suddenly in jail? Why does Luda have a tank? Is that a goddamn submarine?! Needless to say, the trailer raises some questions. So let's address them, shall we?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMKRevYa_M
1. Why is the title of this movie not The F8 of the Furious ? That's a real missed opportunity.
2. Why did Dom betray his family? WHAT HAPPENED TO 'I DON'T HAVE FRIENDS, I GOT FAMILY,' DOM?
3. Is he being blackmailed by Charlize Theron's character?
4. If so, what does she have on him? At first, I thought it might have something to do with Brian, Mia, and their two children. After all, Jordana Brewster has been coy about her further involvement in the Fast franchise. Then again, Mia is happily living a normal life with Brian, so bringing her back into the fold would be difficult, given Paul Walker's passing three years ago. That being said, we already know there will be a scene where Dominic stares at a picture of him and Brian together, so the O'Connors are definitely weighing on his conscience. But if Mia and Brian aren't in trouble, who is? Perhaps Cipher has something on Letty, or the Fast Familia at large.
5. Can Dom and Letty be happy for an entire movie, or is that impossible? First amnesia, now betrayal — I can't take it!Universal
Ew. No, Dom. NO.
6. By the way, what's up with Theron's hair?
7. Has Race Wars moved to Cuba? Because the new locale looks awesome. (I feel like that's probably Dom and Letty's honeymoon. You know how much they love Race Wars.)
8. Who does Dom see when he stares out of his car window? Seriously. He does this throughout the trailer, and I really need to know what/who he's looking at.
9. What is Ramsey doing here? It's not that I don't love having another girl around (I still miss Gisele dearly), but I don't think Ramsey says a single word in this trailer, which signifies how important she is to this movie. She is a hacker, though, so that's cool.
10. Is Jason Statham, a.k.a. Deckard Shaw, part of the family now? Looks like it.
11. Is Hobbs taking over Dom's spot as the leader? I knew this moment would come. Dom and Hobbs — and their real-life counterparts, Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson — have enormous egos. There's no way one would let the other have complete control. So by making Dom an antagonist, this allows for both of them to take top billing. Now, when Dom eventually makes things right and gets his family back, it will be interesting to see if Dom and Hobbs ever get to a place where they can co-lead the squad — and the franchise.
12. Will someone at some point drive up the Empire State Building? I really need to know .
13. Who gave Luda the tank?
14. How practical is a tank on ice, really?
15. Why are they trying to catch Dom's car with five different bungee cords?
16. Were they planning to drive away after they caught him? I have a hard time believing that they would be able to get him out of that car. He literally beat Jason Statham with a rusty pipe in Fast & Furious 7 . This man is invincible.
17. Why did Hobbs go to prison?
18. Where is Kristofer Hivju (a.k.a. Tormund from Game of Thrones )?
19. Better question: WHERE THE FUCK IS HELEN MIRREN? I thought you gave the people what they wanted, Diesel? Well, I want QUEEN HELEN MIRREN.
20. The submarine is cool and all, but is it more or less impressive than dropping cars out of airplanes? Or jumping from one skyscraper to the next in a Lykan Hypersport?Universal
21. Where are you going to find a bigger truck, Hobbs? You're in the middle of Iceland.
22. Who let Roman drive that orange Lamborghini?
23. In every Fast movie since Furious 6 , Michelle Rodriguez has had an incredible fight sequence — so who's she fighting next? While it would be easy to assume that Letty takes on Cipher (not to mention, a fight between Rodriguez and Theron would be totally badass), I think it would be more fitting to watch Letty kick the shit out of Dom. Rodriguez and Diesel are the only OGs left in the franchise at this point, and we've never really seen a full-on, choreographed fight sequence between Letty and Dom before — so Fate of the Furious seems like an opportune time to give us one. Also, Dom totally deserves it for betraying Letty and making out with the blonde cyber-terrorist in front of her. TAKE HIM DOWN, LETTY.
24. Who is Scott Eastwood?
25. And who is he playing? We see the blond-haired, blue-eyed Ken doll working with Mr. Nobody, but other than that, he doesn't really have a purpose.
27. Is Charlie Puth over?