6 Times Liz Taylor Ofahs Hoteltaught Us How Be Goddess
The Hotel Cortez might have a Countess in its penthouse, but it's got a Goddess behind its front desk.
Last night on ' American Horror Story ,' a flashback to 1984 brought us the moment we've all been waiting for: the backstory of the hotel's most glamorous, enigmatic resident. A businessman with a combover walked through the doors of the Cortez an unfulfilled caterpillar -- and emerged a beautiful butterfly, ready to fly forever on silken black wings of impeccable eyeliner.
And after realizing her destiny with a little help from the Countess, Liz has since blossomed, arguably surpassing her creator to become the most glamorous creature currently in residence at the hotel -- and teaching us all by example how to follow in her footsteps.
- Life is too short for a boring neckline.
- Dare to break the rules -- like mixing matte metals with rhinestones and pearls.
- Sequins are for daytime.
- Match your eyeshadow to your caftan.
- Know when to let go of a dead trend.
- And in between fashion adventures, don't be afraid to return to your roots with the look that started it all.