Ariel Winter Speaks Up
With all the negativity on the internet, it's nice to see celebs using their fame and platform to promote body positivity and silencing the nay-sayers. ' Modern Family ' actress Ariel Winter shared a #FBF pic on Instagram of herself with her two adorable nieces.
Since Winter had the ~audacity~ to upload a pic of herself in a bikini, many people saw that as an open invitation to leave nasty comments. Because kindness and human decency are overrated, right? (Spoiler: no.)https://instagram.com/p/-CBc7zkxUe/
Based on this one picture, a frighteningly large number of people felt like Winter was 'asking for it' by wearing something sooooo provocative. *Cringes* It's a bathing suit, an item of clothing most people own. I've seen less clothes worn at award ceremonies, TBH.
To make matters even more creepy and sickening, Winters is 17 years old and 'still legally a minor in the state of California,' according to Entertainment Tonight . Let that sink in for a moment.
- Two comments stood out from the rest because they completely prove rape culture exists. FYI, no woman is EVER 'asking for it.' Instagram
- Thankfully, Winter responded to one of the commenters, flawlessly shutting them down and putting them in their place. Instagram
? ? ?
- Shortly after all this occurred, Winter shared another Instagram pic with a vital message for literally everyone with a pulse. https://instagram.com/p/-CJzpyExS6/
'Who knew that an innocent photo with my nieces would turn into this? The height of a girl's skirt or whatever she is wearing for that matter, does not imply what she is asking for. It sickens me to think at 17 years old, a photo of myself with my nieces is suggesting that I'm 'asking for it'. I typically never give power to the mean things people bravely say behind their computer screens on the Internet, but this is for the girls who are constantly bullied whether it be online or at school.. You are not asking for anything because of what you are wearing- you are expressing yourself and don't you ever think you deserve the negativity as the consequence to what you are wearing- YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. Celebrate you and don't let anyone's comments allow you to think less of yourself. Us girls have to stick together!!!!!!'
- So, was Winter asking for it here? https://instagram.com/p/9riEsYkxfk/
- Or here? https://instagram.com/p/99CxtnkxST/
- Or even here? https://instagram.com/p/96bA2oExck/
- The answer to all of these questions is a big, humongous NO. https://instagram.com/p/9WPKTKExab/
After seeing how Winter handled the latest chapter in 'People On The Internet Can Be Awful,' we can easily see why she was voted one of TIME's ' Most Influential Teens of 2015 .'
Keep standing up for what's right, Ariel, and never stop calling out people on their BS.ABC