Here Are 11 Albums Get Excited About 2016
Forget the typical resolutions. Eating better can wait. Going to bed on time is overrated. And you know that fancy new planner is just going to end up in the back of a desk drawer in a few weeks. Make a New Year's resolution you can stick to -- make it your goal to listen to as much fantastic music as you can in 2016.
It won't be tough. 2016 is already stacking up to be a pretty excellent year for new records, with anticipated releases from exciting new artists, rock and roll legends and treasured favorites alike...
- The xx , Untitled https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLBB-TMa84
The xx has been hard at work in the studio on their third album with producer Rodaidh McDonald, who's also worked with Adele , Savages and Vampire Weekend . Here's hoping it's as great as band member Jamie xx's 2015 release 'In Colour.'
- Panic! At The Disco , Death Of A Bachelor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03cqGg40GU
Aching to relive your pumped up, angsty high school years but with a new, grown-up sophistication? The new Panic! At The Disco record, out Jan. 15, has you covered.
- Britney Spears , Untitled https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb1ad7r5oN8
It's Britney, bitches and it's about damn time we had a new album from the inimitable Ms. Spears. There's no release date yet, but Brit confirmed with a tweet that it's coming.
- Christina Aguilera , Untitled https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cfCgLgiFDM
It's a bang-up year for pop icons, with Britney and Christina in the studio working on two albums. Better still, Christina Aguilera is working on not one, but two records to be released in 2016 -- one in English and one in Spanish.
- Gwen Stefani , Untitled https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeT_nYtjgTQ
It's also a good year for new music from 'The Voice' judges. We're hoping for a new solo album from the No Doubt front woman. If it's anything like 'Used To Love You,' the album's first single, we'll ready the tissues for a cathartic cry of Adele proportions.
- Gorillaz , Untitled https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nOGy52xygY
Damon Albarn and company are (finally!) back, working on a new Gorillaz album slated for release in 2016. Jamie Hewlett, the man behind the band's animations, is back at it too, previewing delightfully demented new art on his Instagram .
- David Bowie , Blackstar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSt9RDIIa0k
Never to be outdone, David Bowie is back with his 25th studio album, Blackstar , out Jan. 6. This time he's finally taking the deep dive into jazz that he's been teetering on the edge of his whole career. So, a seasoned rocker exploring jazz might not sound like the makings of a hot record, but it's Bowie. Everything he does is drenched in so much mystery that it can't help but be hot.
- The 1975 , I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXaU0QzByIM
Just when we need some poppy Brit rock, the 1975 steps in with 'I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It,' due out Feb. 26. And UGH, is their new single catchy!
- Sia , This Is Acting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2NgsJrrAyM
Sia's seventh album, This Is Acting , wasn't meant for her. The record, due out Jan. 29, is full of songs written for other performers. Of course, because it's Sia, once she's decided in her distinct style to make them hers, they could never have been anyone else's.
- Ty Segall , Emotional Mugger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3aklEgwjF8
Ty Segall is a prolific guy, a talented guy and a weird guy. Just call the 'Emotional Mugger' hotline at 1-800-281-2968. But don't be alarmed. The eighth studio album for the 28-year-old promises to be just as grungy and honest as the others.
- Ariana Grande , Moonlight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf_wVfwpfp8
If you haven't had enough of Ariana Grande yet (and let's be honest, who has?), you have a whole new album, Moonlight , to look forward to...sometime in 2016.
- Kanye West , Swish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibQR0tQ0P8
Come on, Kanye . We're ready.